Monday, March 19, 2007

I am seven weeks pregnant!

Monday, March 19, 2007

Our baby still appears to have a small tail (actually, it's an extension of his tailbone), which will disappear in the next few weeks. But that's the only thing getting smaller. Now almost half an inch long — roughly the size of a raspberry (YUM, Brian's favorite) — he has elbow joints and distinct, slightly webbed fingers and toes. In his oversized head, both hemispheres of his brain are developing. His teeth and the inside of his mouth are forming, and his ears continue to develop. Eyelid folds partially cover his tiny peepers, which already have some color, and the tip of that nose we'll be tweaking someday is emerging. His skin is paper-thin and his veins are clearly visible. Our little one also has an appendix and a pancreas, which will eventually produce the hormone insulin to aid in digestion. His liver is busy producing red blood cells, and a loop of the baby's growing intestines is bulging into his umbilical cord, which now has distinct blood vessels to carry oxygen and nutrients to and from his tiny body. I can't feel his gyrations yet, but our baby is like a little jumping bean, moving in fits and starts around his watery home.

I can smell everything. Brian calls it my spidy sense. The smell of soft batch cookies, my all time fave, makes me gag. I was making meals for my church food swap and Brian had to take over b/c I couldn't stand the smell of cream of chicken soup. We went to church yesterday where they had painted earlier in the week. I felt queasy the whole time from what I thought was an overpowering smell, only to find out that no one else can smell it.
I thought that I was going to make it through my first trimester without getting sick, but everything stinks! I ate some crackers today and really felt a lot better.

I really don't mind all of these things and am actually excited by them! I have another doctor's appt this week the the OB nurse. She will take all my medical history, check my hormones, etc. I am supposed to have another ultrasound next week.

0 comments:

The Number of People at My Party