Monday, October 1, 2007

Bed Rest and PUPPP

Monday, October 1, 2007
No, Brian did not get me a dog. (come on, do you know us at all?)

This week I was diagnosed with PUPPP, or Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy.

In layman terms that's: itchy (pruritic) - reddened, irregular, elevated hives (urticarial) - imflammatory elevation of the skin that does not contain pus (papule) - a scaly patch formed on the skin (plaques) - with child (pregnancy).

In Debra's terms that's: The itchiest skin condition I have ever had.

It only affects about 1% of pregnancies and you know what the cure is? DELIVERY. Most women get prescribed steroids, but since I am diabetic I cannot take them. So I have been taking Claritin, taking oatmeal baths twice a day, and rubbing hydrocortizone cream and a mixture of aloe vera and lubriderm on my rash whenever it get to the point of unbearable.

The rash is covering all of my body (including my hands and feet) with the exception of my chest and face (thank goodness).

I am still on bedrest this week and will probably get to come off of it this weekend. Yeah!

0 comments:

The Number of People at My Party